A world in which we utilize the potential of data to the fullest, ultimately for a better world.
Data driven design
We live in a world of big data, where we are always surrounded by data, whether it’s the billions of search queries on Google every day, photos and videos being uploaded to social media every second or the sheer amount of text messages being sent across the world. Working with data has become indispensable for companies such as W+B. Every day, countless amounts of data are being produced, but only a part of that data will ever be used again. What if we can (re)use that data repeatedly, by expanding it and by incorporating it in our designs and solutions to the challenges we face as an engineering firm across the world?
Usage of the earth and everything on it is being intensified by the day, where people live more concentrated in cities and where demands of our soil, infrastructure, the demand for safe and clean water (and so on) are growing every day. Combine this with a changing world, where climate change, rising sea water levels and the growing number of vehicles are present.
How can we use data to predict our future, by making our designs resilient for what is to come, what information do we need for this, how do we access it and how do we process it? Can we equip our infrastructure, buildings, cars, and industries with (smart) sensors, to gather relevant information about the availability and reliability of networks and structures to execute predictive asset management? Maximize performance of these networks and also make sure we spare the earth while we are at it? How can we teach machines to learn from their own generated data and ‘mistakes’? How can we use data from previous designs and from the real world for today’s designs, by creating more detailed BIM models and make parametric designing possible? How can we use data altogether in our daily work and designs?
Do you have any suggestions on how to do so? We challenge everyone to bring new ideas to the table! Your ideas do not have to provide a complete and overall answer to our broad research question. We are looking for concrete ideas, both small and large, rather than abstract thoughts. We are excited to discover more about your ideas, so go ahead and submit them!
- What kind of data do we need for what business/markets?
- How do we make data accessible for everyone to use?
- How to analyse data, with which goal in mind and for what solution?
- What conditions and tools do we need to draw right conclusions from data?
- What sources of data are accessible, and is there a way we can use this data?
- How can we make sure that civil engineers and non-IT-people can read and work with big data?
- For what type of engineering services is data driven work valuable and for which is it not?
- Can we use (data gathered with) social media for our engineering projects?
- How can we use data for (new) designs?
Big data, datawarehouse, data driven, smart industry, IOT, Parametric design, data driven design, data driven engineering, data analytics, data science, databases, software, IT, engineering processes, machine learning, AI, sensoringSubmit your idea!